Sunday, February 24, 2008

The National Library

Now and Then
First time i've been in the National Library was when i was about 8 years old.
Was taken there by my dad. He had to do some research on something i guess.
He left me at the childrens' library...gawd knows for how many hours.
The books there were pretty old back then.Hardly found anything i'm interested in.LOL.
And yeah..i was all alone. No siblings with me..no cousins and no friends. :(

2nd time i was there...i was 15 years old; had to get my Geography or History researh paper done. Was with a few friends. I'm sure my bestfriend Al is one of them.Stuff there were of coz old....LOL And there were alot of teenagers and people in their 20's.Probably some university students.

Many more times.....can't remember...but i'm sure itz for my research paper (again...).
And yeah..i only remember being there with my bestfriend Al.The very last time i went with her was when i was 17.Think i was studying for my SPM (Malaysian O Level).Was with Al and her sis.We "rented" the cube...it was meant for 2 only so her sis didn't get to come in.After around 30mins of checking into the cube..we secretly drag her sis with us.LOL...and we brought in food.Dunno why we did that....hahaha

I've only been there with my bf once....can't remember why we went here....but i had to wait for him to line up and register and renew my membership.The line at the library was forever long back then so whoever who is not a member and plans to go to the library,they'll go very early in the morning..*sigh*

My very recent visit is yesterday (23rd Feb 2008) just cause my bro wants to go so very badly...haih..it was already 230pm when we left home and i prayed hard the line won't be long.I hate waiting!!!Anyway, the admin changed already!!Thank god.Everything is more organized now.they have a counter where you can enquire about stuff and take the number for you to queue and about 4 counters to handle registration *phew*
I renewed my membership and my bro got himself registered.Each costs RM1 each.

Since he is only 11 years old...we have to go to the childrens' library...it looks more like a nursery to me...and at times it looks like a playground..not that it only looks that way...it also sounds that way...Gosh...how come no one ensures the kids behave like how they have to behave in a library???????I sat at one corner..opened my Unix book and turned on my iPod(Thank god 4 d iPod).what i observed was...girls would sit at a table and read some story books or get their homeworks done while the boys run around the library and make lotsa noise.The range of age of girls who made noise was between 3 to 6 years old.Boys???99% with the age between 4 to 11 years old....funny.The maturity level is very obvious and the difference is pretty big.

Some parents just leave their children there.Some stayed with their children.I see it as a great thing that the parents encourage their children to read; Malaysians hardly read!!!!However, with children missing almost one every month..i believe it is best if the parents could keep an eye on their children all the time especially if their children are girls;the culprit seems to aim girls... :(

Overall view
The admin has definitely improved.
The library is more or less like how i remembered it.
The childrens' library has better collection. The facilities were upgraded too.
I hope they would provide free wi-fi soon; Starbucks could..why can't the National Library,rite?

Cheers!

0 commentz: